Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Paul Stanley:Another Kiss Album On The Way

PAUL STANLEY INTERVIEW with MetalRules.com

Written by Marko Syrjala
March 14, 2010
SONIC BOOM
Q: Overall, how satisfied you are for the sales numbers and overall feedback what you’ve got of SONIC BOOM? Was there anything surprising there either in positive or negative way?
A: I’m thrilled because it’s a great album. I said from the beginning whether it sells 10million copies or 1million copies, it’s all the same to me. At this stage of the game it about making a great album, anything else is just a bonus. In America we had the album available exclusively at one place which has a good side and a bad side. The good side is they support is, the bad side is, it’s the only place you can get it. So there are plusses and minuses but I couldn’t want a better album, I couldn’t imagine a better album.
Q: The reviews for the album have been very positive all the way.
A: That’s right. The reviews for SONIC BOOM have been really good. It’s great to do an album which is undeniably good, right? “laughs”. Thank you.
Q: From producers view, what was the biggest difference to produce this album vs. your latest solo album LIVE TO WIN?
A: It was totally different. LIVE TO WIN wasn’t a KISS album. It was me trying not to do a KISS album. If I wanted to do a one man KISS album I would do ANIMALIZE. To do a KISS album I wanted all the elements that make great KISS; everybody contributing, Gene and I writing together and no outside writers. Those all are things that over the years fell away for reason or another. It’s easy to make an album when you don’t write the songs and someone else writes them for you. It’s easy to make an album when you let someone else play your instrument. It’s easy to make an album when you say I have to have 4 songs on the album whether they are good or bad. It can be easy to make an album but it’s not the way we should make an album. This album was made following certain rules, somebody was in charge, and it is much easier with someone in charge. The band will tell you it was the easiest album that we ever made because we had great guidelines.
Q: You've stated many times that this is the best line up of KISS ever. Now after finishing your first studio album with this lineup, do you still agree with that statement?
A: I totally agree with that statement. There aren’t nights when band isn’t in top form. Like I’ve said before, we've now got a band with four people who are all saying, "How can we make the band more famous?" instead of, "How can I make me more famous?"
Q: Although it was stated that all material on SONIC BOOM is brand new, actually there are a couple of songs which were originally written a long time ago, like “Nobody’s Perfect” by Gene. Would you tell us something more about those songs and how you decided which material was used for this album?
A: I never heard another version of that song. Was it called “Nobody’s Perfect”?
Q: Yes, and actually there are some early tapes where you can hear the rough version of that song…
A: I don’t know? Most of the songs he has rehashed I always know about because I hear them year after year. That song sounded really good. Most songs that have not been used usually haven’t been used for a reason. We tweaked that song so… I can’t say?
Q: Many fans criticized, especially here in Europe, that when album came out there wasn’t enough promotion made for it. Was there any certain reason why you didn’t do a promo tour like this when album was coming out?
A: Probably because we are busy. Also, its great to do promotion but someone has to pay for it. If someone isn’t willing to pay for the promotion I am not a charity. I give you a great album and if you want more than a great album then you need to buy me a ticket and find me a place to play.
Q: Well because our time is soon coming to an end here is the very last question. Is SONIC BOOM going to be the very last KISS album ever?
A: I don’t think so. I think that within the next twelve months we are doing another album.
Q: Really???
A: Yeah. I think it will take twelve months to eighteen months.
Q: That’s something to wait for. Thanks for your time and have a good show tonight.
A: Thank you and have a good time.
Read the rest herehttp://www.metal-rules.com/zine/content/view/1892/86/

No comments: